How to Maintain Your Oiled Wood Floor
How to Maintain Your Oiled Timber Floor
It is important to clean and maintain your oiled timber floor correctly, using specially formulated products. In our more than 13 years’ experience, we’ve found the best products to be from Blanchon wood care.
The guide set-out here is suitable for both domestic and commercial applications.
Maintaining an oiled floor is easy, fast and cost-effective and does normally not require any sanding. A simple cleaning of the surface is sufficient and the re-oiling can commence as soon as the surface is dry.
Do not use bleach or steam cleaners on timber floors. This will damage the finish and potentially warp the timber.
- Clean the surface using Blanchon Natural Soap. Mix 100ml in 5ltrs of warm water for normal cleaning and apply with a damp cloth or well wrung out mop. Do not allow large amounts of water to be left on the floorboards. (For heavily soiled floors increase natural soap strength of 250ml in the same amount of water).
- The surface should dry in 10-20mins at which point the area can be put back into full use.
Periodic maintenance is when the floor requires re-oiling. There’s no set time for this, however it is good if this can be done at least once a year in normal domestic situations.
You can identify if the floor needs re-oiling by the following factors:
- Timber feels or looks dry/grain feels more noticeable
- Floor easily gets dirty
- Floor shows signs of wear
- Surface Scratches
If your floor requires re-oiling please follow these steps:
- Clean the floor as directed in ‘General/Regular Cleaning’ and allow the floor to dry fully.
- Apply a thin coat of Blanchon Maintenance Oil onto the surface of the floor using a brush, roller or lint-free cloth.
- Repeat after 20-45mins.
- After a further 20-45mins. Buff the remaining oil into the timber by hand or machine with a red nylon-pad. At this point, you must remove any wet oil that hasn’t been absorbed into the floor to avoid a sticky residue.
- After 4-6 hours, buff the surface again with a red nylon-pad for a beautiful satin surface.
- Allow the floor to cure for 24 hours before allowing traffic back on the floor. Any water spills must be cleared immediately. Water resistance will increase over the following seven days (dry vacuum clean only during this period).
If you have any questions on caring for your oiled timber floor please contact us on:
+44 (0) 1666 504 015