An Oiled Wooden Floor that is sticky
If you have an Oiled Wooden Floor that feels sticky on the top surface and shows up marks and scuffs, you can remedy the situation easily with the correct products.
When excess oil is left on the surface the oxygen in the air cures the surface leaving it sticky and easily marked. This is a common problem that strongly indicates that some excess oil was still present on the surface of the wood flooring after oiling.
How to Fix a Sticky Oiled Wooden Floor:
Note – Before trying this yourself, we recommend you call our experts on 01666 504 015 to check the best procedure in your unique situation.
- Apply a 50/50 mix of Blanchon Natural Soap and water, following the care instructions provided in our ‘Maintaining Oiled Wood Floors‘ guide on our website. In cases of sticky oiled wood boards, clean the boards using a 50/50 ratio of natural soap to hot water as per usual instructions, wait for 5-10mins (so the boards are still wet – never over wet the boards) and proceed to step 2:
- Buff the surface of the floor carefully using a red buffing pad. This will remove the residue from the floor. In extreme situations, you may require a coarse brown buffing pad, but please check in with us on 01666 504015 before proceeding with this.
- Remove any excess solution or ‘gunk’ from the boards using a mop or clean lint-free cloth
- Repeat this process twice over, or for more extreme situations repeat steps 1 through 4 several times. Allow at least one hour for drying if repeating steps 1-4, and once completed allow the floor to dry completely overnight.
Advice – If the situation is not improving, please call our team on 01666 504015 for advice on using stronger cleaners such as Blanchon Powerful Cleaner or Bona Remover.
- In order to add protection to your floor, it is best to apply a new coat of oil. Using the steps noted in our ‘Maintaining Oiled Floors’ guide, re-oil using Blanchon Maintenance Oil.
For more information on caring for your wood floor or discuss any issues you may be having with wood flooring please call our experts on 01666 504 015 or email firstname.lastname@example.org